post # 475 — December 12, 2007 — a Managing post
We all know meetings are a curse.
Here are some of the rules I would offer to help make them more productive.
- Do not call meetings when some other form of information sharing is possible.
- Since most people can read ten times faster than a presenter can speak, send material ahead.
- Meetings need to have concrete goals (a purpose for what must be accomplished), not just an agenda.
- Select speciifc start and stop times and stick to them
- Restrict attendance to only those who must be there
- Appoint a reporter at the beginning of the meeting, charged with recording the discussion, writing it up, and circulating the meeting notes within 24 hours
Those are just some of the rules I would offer. what meeting rules would you propose?